We have reached a point in the class where Mako is doing less teaching and we are doing more independent work. So today I spent most of the class time (and much of the afternoon)
mounting these little guys on canvas boards,
and adding layer
after layer of oyster shell white to these 3 cradled boards.
And finally some azurite blue.
Meanwhile, I prepped a small box for my recent waxed book piece.
I poured encaustic medium into the box and let my piece set.
I’ll come back to it on Monday (after it’s completely cooled), make some touch-ups and probably finish it!
Last on my list for the afternoon was to try to finish this piece. I added oyster shell white (top), and more ash gray (bottom).
Then I added some encaustic medium to the middle section, propping it up while I fused in order to get a drip effect.
Then I went back in to put on last touches with titanium white (a brighter / opaque white) and scraped back some of the wax.
Then I turned it every which way to see which direction this piece should be read. This is what I decided on. For now, I’ll say the piece is done and I’m pleased with it, but I may change my mind after the weekend and I’ve had time to be away from it! :)